Sunday, December 7, 2014

Sagittarius 14°: The Great Pyramid and the Sphinx.

17:52 12/7/2014, Sagittarius 14°

p. 218     AN ASTROLOGICAL MANDALA, by Dane Rudhyar (1973)

PHASE 254 (SAGITTARIUS 14°): THE GREAT PYRAMID AND THE SPHINX.

KEYNOTE: The enduring power of occult knowledge and of its quasi-divine Custodians, "Seed-men" of a previous cycle of existence.

The belief in an Original Tradition based on the perfect knowledge of the archetypal principles and forms which underlie all manifestations of life on this Earth (and by extension in the cosmos) is deeply rooted in man's consciousness. The Great Pyramid and the Sphinx are witnesses to such a Tradition, especially for the Western world. The symbol implies that such an archetypal knowledge remains the foundation upon which men's minds can still build solid and valid formulations, as new evolutionary developments are pending.

This fourth stage symbol suggests that this occult knowledge and the traditional process of acquiring it is still available, and that by accepting their principles modern man can best meet the challenge of our present world crisis. The symbol, interpreted from a personal point of view, points to the greatness of a Soul's past achievements and the value of trying to reevoke this past. What is revealed is THE POWER OF SPIRITUAL ANCESTRY.

Girlcapsule's Response:
In the introduction that precedes this first entry I included a close-up photo of a painting called Tree of Death and Life. I promised that I would draw a connection between this image which I was led to through intuitive suggestion rooted in the phrase "blue snake" and Rudhyar's Sabian Symbol for Sagittarius 14°.

Today's keynote mentions the concept of "Seed-men". In this moment I have several impressions that I'm noticing in the way of interpreting my experience with a Jungian symbolic attitude, which is to say a noticing of meaningful coincidence that I will attempt to document.
Photo of image from Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth
Tree of Death and Life, from the Archbishop of Salzburg's Missal, 1481
For the reader the following might best be received as stream-of-consciousness style writing:

Why did the phrase 'blue snake' come to mind as I take this new project into manifestation? I found this image I had taken and felt a familiar tugging of intuitive or trans-cognitive knowing that this image could be considered one answer to that question. Yet, I do not want to fall into a trap of circular reasoning, and so I will also note the following ideas:

  • Consider the color connection: Blue...allow for all the meaningful connotations that might bring up in relationship what the image points to, in it's way of coloring certain things blue 
  • Consider the snake as a symbol of primal consciousness
  • Consider the nailed feet of the Christ-figure in the upper left corner, and shown as a kind of death-fruit growing on the tree. Consider this connection: Christ as a "Seed-man" 
  • What's the story of the gold glowing? It drew me to the seated figure as a "Seed-man" popping up. (Note: Savor the immediate infinite complexity that drawing notice to this unrepeatable phenomenon represents--The golden glow happened in the flash of a moment...is it possible it holds meaning now in the context of this meditation? In my experience this sort of thing is the playful stuff of synchronicity)
  • I also have to admit having a flash of intuitive recognition at a little joke on my experiment--that being that the seated figure is thinking to himself: "That's not the 'Great Pyramid' I was anticipating!" (Note: Utilize your capacity to notice sexual innuendo if this is confusing)
  • Noting blue clothing  on other figures...some echo of the snake's skin--something shed-able, and in that context notice the fully-exposed divine feminine indiscriminately nourishing those within reach and need
I am intrigued to explore the jump of intuition that led me from today's symbol to the image of the blue snake. But I have to say I felt the strongest response to Rudhyar's further explanation, in which he states: "The symbol implies that such an archetypal knowledge remains the foundation upon which men's minds can still build solid and valid formulations, as new evolutionary developments are pending" (1973, p. 218). I will creatively make this next connection to steer the conversation without losing the golden thread.
Tarot, Thoth deck: #12 The Hanged Man

Another blue snake appeared to me during today's meditation. It is shown here at the base of the Hanged Man tarot card from the Thoth deck. I began looking at the Hanged Man as depicted by some other artists and interpreters. This concept of cross-comparison inspired this project, in that part of my intention in allowing myself this completely subjective connection is to duly demonstrate the degree of freedom and allowance that I am playfully making room for.

Tarot, Thoth deck: #12 The Hanged Man

In this image there is partial view of a book gifted to me by my grandfather. It is entitled Cross-examination: The evidence for belief and is authored by Subodh K. Pandit, M.D., and published in 2011. In the way of the synchronistic field that can constellate during meditations in the symbolic attitude, my attention was drawn to this book. The concept of creating some cross-comparative model for this blog-series might have been the initial noticing.

Here I will introduce a dangerous method. Fans of mysticism and the study of numbers and pattern will love this...most everyone else must just give this a chance, or consider it an imaginal quirk of mine. In any case, my confession is I turned to page 137 out of curiosity. First, if anyone is interested in the number 137 and its mystical-mythic reputation, I would point you to a book by Arthur I. Miller called 137: Jung, Pauli, and the Pursuit of a Scientific Obsession. And finally, on page 136 of Pandit's Cross-Examination I found the author makes a statement about the historical Christ that circles back to the concept of the "Seed-Man". In a section sub-titled "Sinless Perfection" Pandit writes:
I have stood amazed many times in the contemplation on this aspect of Christ's life. How would I have felt if I could look into those dark recesses of my private life and desires, to find everything in complete harmony with the will of God? I cannot even begin to imagine it...And I have heard enough confessions from high-ranking religious "stalwarts" to make me think that this must be a universal trait. Given this background, which I believe is a correct reflection of our moral condition, His perfection seems so far removed from the reality of everyday life that it is difficult to accept it with confidence. It was much easier to view Him as a "plastic" saint: manufactured according to a computerized plan, artificially dressed and painted-up, without a flaw, and programmed never to fail--so utterly unlike me! But since many people and religious leaders called Him perfect, I have a choice. I can follow suit, in meaningless, parrot-like repetition, or dismiss it as a tall story. But the report came from those who actually lived with Him. They seemed to portray a real person, and if I choose to disbelieve them, what reason can I give for my stand? (2011, p. 136)
It is painful to read this analysis, knowing that the author intended to do a cross-comparison of religions in order to choose the best one, or the one most beneficial, or closest to truth. I would rather more often read voices who already value religions as peers of each other—each a collective expression of the people of a place and culture unfolding its own cosmology. However, it is also amazing to read here this idea of a computerized savior avatar. I had never considered this. Here also is the clear connection to Rudhyar's "Seed-man".

I will end my reflection here, because my friends have come for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment